Sunday, August 22, 2010

First Post


This is the first post on this blog. I who shall remain anonymous since I consider this to be the level of press, will be posting some photos of a recent trip to Dr. Robert Holbrook Smith's former house. Dr. Smith was a co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous, and lived at 855 Ardmore Avenue, Akron, Ohio, until his death. If not for God, the work of this man, Bill Wison, and the many who passed the message to me, I would not have recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body.

Although for years I lived relatively close to this very special house, I never visited. Now in my 21st year of sobriety, the opportunity presented itself, so the visit was made. The first thing that struck me about this house was that it looked very modest. No big palace, just a humble abode of the man who helped change the world. It is common knowledge among many alcoholics, that there are 12 steps leading to the front door of this house. I do not believe that this is a coincidence. Although I am of the belief that the principles of Alcoholics Anonymous are the tools that lead alcoholics to God of their own understanding, and no edifice, it was still a humbling experience to walk up those steps. Imagine, the very steps that Bill Wilson walked up, to meet with Dr. Bob.

No comments:

Post a Comment